Au pair Program in England / UK
Contract and Insurance
Become an Au Pair in England! - Why?
English is the most used language in the world and the best way to speak a language fluently is to go where it´s originated: England! Live in England and learn, not just the language, but the English way of life! You will be able to experience the people, the country and the culture by spending a few months there as an Au Pair.
England has a huge history in hosting Au Pairs. Whether as a single hard working parent household or as a two working parent household trying to manage the afterschool activities, Au Pairs have always been needed. The working period for Au Pairs in England is possible from 3 to 12 months, which gives you enough time to enjoy what England has to offer. Besides other skills that you will develop, as an Au Pair you will improve mostly the English language.
You will be emerged in the culture and have someone to practice with every day. You will have children to practice simple conversation to the parents of the family to speak advanced conversations. Your working hours will depend on the family you choose. Though, most families will expect you to work during the week and not on the weekends, unless spoken otherwise.
During your free time you can explore the country – you might be surprised how many other Au Pairs like yourself, you will meet. You will be able to experience excursions to different cities on weekends, sometimes even with your host family. If you choose your host family, you should keep an open mind where the family is situated in England. Even though you might prefer the city, you will find on the countryside a host family that is more suitable for you and vice versa.
As an Au Pair your job will vary from the family you choose. Depending on each family you may have the opportunity to have the afternoons off, or perhaps doing more outside activities with the children. Having these options you will be able to make the most of your experience. A regular work week for the average Au Pair is 35 hours a week, which is less than a full time work week in most other countries. Depending on the family you will be able to take language courses. This is the perfect way to accelerate learning English! In just a couple of months you will notice the improvement of your fluency and confidence in your English.
At a glance - Au pair Program in England / UK:
- Age: 18 - 30 years (depending on the country of origin of the Au Pair)
- Duration: 6 - 24 months
- Working time: 30-35 hours per week
- Holidays: We recommend 4 weeks holiday for a period of 12 months work for Au Pairs in the UK. In addition, the au pair has at least one day off per week, this day, at least once a month be a Sunday.
- Travel costs: The Au Pair must pay for their own travel expenses. A host family is welcome to support their au pair with the travel expenses, but we recommend that families do so only if the au pair has successfully lived sometime in the family.
- Insurance: The host family must register their au pair in the National Health Service (NHS). Au Pairs have health insurance from their country with which the UK signs up to the Tier 5 youth mobility scheme agreements are entitled to health care when they can demonstrate their international health insurance card.
- Pocket money: Au Pair: 55-75 GBP per week