Hire Au pair, Nanny, Child and Senior Caregivers

Au Pair Program in America /USA

Travelling to the United States is a once in a life time experience.
Many Au Pairs chose the USA in order to experience the “American way of life”.  America is such a big country that holds many different American cultures throughout its country. But not just socially, also the countryside can offer you various things to experience. If you discover the US from the East to the West you will find the famous Smoky Mountains, drive a long time through flat land and then see the even more famous Rocky Mountains again.

Au Pair USA Check

Take into consideration the following information and then you can become an Au Pair:
  • I speak good English
  • I'm 18 y.o.
  • I'm healthy and I don't smoke
  • I like hanging out with children
  • I don't have my own children and I'm not married
The working week for an Au Pair in the United States is carefully regulated. Furthermore the amount of pocket money, vacation days, and holidays are determined. As an Au Pair in the US you have to stay 12 months to get accepted. The time can be extended, but requires special circumstances. Mostly it depends on the family where you stay at, whether you get your time extended or not.
Once you decided to become an Au Pair and go to the Unitet States you have to make sure you have enough money to cover the following costs. The money you are going to spend on some formalitie is worth this experience!

Costs for the Au Pair

  • You have to pay an american agency 
  • You will need to cover visa expenses
  • You might like to buy some presents for the host family
  • You have to cover travel costs
A visa is required for any traveler staying longer than 90 days in the United States. It is common for Au Pairs to travel for a month after their stay with their host family. The country is so big, and there is so much to see, so why wouldn’t you take the opportunity to see everything!
AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice.

Au pair in USA - At a Glance

  • Age: 18 - 26 years
  • Duration: 12 months, an extension of 6, 9 or 12 months is possible
  • Working hours: 45 hours per week, but not more than 10 hours per day
  • Holidays: The au pair shall have per 12 months, 2 weeks paid vacation. In addition, the au pair gets at least 1.5 days off and a free weekend (Friday evening to Monday morning).
  • Travel expenses: See "visa"
  • Insurance: See "visa"
  • Pocket money: U.S. $ 780 per month (U.S.$ 195 per week)
  • Visa requirements: In order to legally work as an Au Pair in the USA, you need a J-1 visa. You need to apply for this visa through one of the American Au Pair agencies. For hiring US citizens or someone from an US territory to work in USA no other agency is required. For more information, please visit: http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/au-pair/

Additional Information about Au Pair in the USA

- Visa
- Requirements
- Duties
- Contract and Insurance
- Pocket Money


For all Au Pair participants from the European Union, Switzerland, Norway and other countries, you will need an Au Pair J1 visa. This is in exchange of a visitor visa...

More about Visa


To participate in the United States Au Pair program you must be at least 18 years old and not older than 26. Anyone older than 26, can no longer applies using the Au Pair application

More about Requirements


No matter where you decide to stay in the United States, as an Au Pair you will deal with a high level of responsibility. You will not only be watching the children,

More about Duties