Au pair Program in USA / America
Contract and Insurance
Travelling to the United States is a once and a life time experience.
Many Au Pairs chose the USA in order to experience the “American way of life”. America is such a big country that holds many different American cultures throughout its country. As young as this country is, compared to the rest of the world, it is already influenced by so many different cultures and individuals. But not just socially, also the countryside can offer you various things to experience. If you discover the US from the East to the West you will find the famous Smoky Mountains, drive a long time through flat land and then see the even more famous Rocky Mountains again.
Even the climate varies within the country. New York (located in north-west) is rather comparable with the Central European weather, but the further you travel down in its country you will experience hot tropical temperatures.
Being an AuPair in the United States gives you the opportunity to achieve personal goals and furthermore gain experiences by adapting other cultural values. The main spoken language in the United States is English, most students learn a second language in the secondary schools, unfortunately they don´t practice it properly in school or outside of school. Therefore, if you wish to learn English in a fashionably quick manner, the United States of America may be the right program for you. The Au Pair program in the U.S has long lasting traditions, formalities and requirements that are strictly regulated. That is why Au Pairs that are going to the United States take a greater amount of time in planning and coordinating.
This is not necessarily a bad thing, it gives you time to cope with the expectations and to prepare properly for your stay. The working week for an Au Pair in the United States is carefully regulated. Furthermore the amount of pocket money, vacation days, and holidays are determined. As an AuPair in the US you have to stay 12 months to get accepted. The time can be extended, but requires special circumstances. Mostly it depends on the family where you stay at, whether you get your time extended or not.
A visa is required for any traveler staying longer than 90 days in the United States. It is common for Au Pairs to travel for a month after their stay with their host family. The country is so big, and there is so much to see, so why wouldn’t you take the opportunity to see everything!
At a glance
- Age: 18 - 26 years
- Duration: 12 months, an extension of 6, 9 or 12 months is possible
- Working hours: 45 hours per week, but not more than 10 hours per day
- Holidays: The au pair shall have per 12 months, 2 weeks paid vacation. In addition, the au pair gets at least 1.5 days off and a free weekend (Friday evening to Monday morning).
- Travel expenses: See "visa"
- Insurance: See "visa"
- Pocket money: U.S. $ 780 per month (U.S.$ 195 per week)
- Visa requirements: In order to legally work as an Au Pair in the USA, you need a J-1 visa. You need to apply for this visa through one of the American Au Pair agencies. For hiring US citizens or someone from an US territory to work in USA no other agency is required. For more information, please visit: http://j1visa.state.gov/programs/au-pair/
AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice.