au pair

What kind of insurance do Au Pairs need?

Au Pair Insurance Insurance plays an important role during your stay abroad as in some countries medical help can be really expensive. The requirements depend on the Au Pair's citizenship, length of stay and chosen host country. The Au Pair might need to enroll with the National Health Care System. In other cases, the Au Pair will need to register for a private health care insurance. In some countries, the Host Family has to take care of the insurance coverage for their Au Pair. 
Please note, that we can’t guarantee any of the information that we give about insurances.
The regulations differ from one insurance company to another and also depend on the kind of insurance that you have in your home country (family insurance etc.). Please ask your insurance company for more information!
If you are an EU citizen, you can benefit from the medical help within the EU provided by the European Health Insurance Card-EHIC. Check the regulations of your target country to make sure the EHIC is recognized there. Even if you can get EHIC medical help we recommend checking the services you will be provided with. Services that are covered i your home country don't have to be covered in your host country. If you need any help, ask your future Host Family to provide you with some useful information.

Pregnancy during the Au Pair stay

An unplanned pregnancy is one of the situations that might occur during the Au Pair's time abroad. If the Au Pair found out that she got pregnant, she should speak with the Host Family and discuss the situation. This may not always be a reason to terminate the Au Pair contract. If both parties agree, the Au Pair can continue performing her duties. 
In most cases, the health insurance is entitled to bear the pregnancy and birth costs. 

Get your international insurance now!

European citizens 

As a European Union citizen you'll be able to apply for the European Health Insurance Card. It gives you the possibility to access the  same medical rights as natives. Consider that it works only for the host country's public healthcare system (private won't be included).  Also you need to check if all services that you get in your home country are possible to get in your host country. Talk to your Host Family to get an accident and liability insurance for your stay abroad. 

European Health Insurance Card
The EHIC allows all European Union citizens to receive medical treatment in any other EU country. How to get the EHIC? Learn more

Non-European citizens

Au Pairs that aren't from a EU country always have to get e an insurance for their stay in another country. The Host Family and Au Pair needs to get information about the insurances and discuss who is going to be responsible for the costs. In countries that have official regulations for the Au Pair program it is defined who has to bear the costs.
Discuss it with a Host Family and note this point in the Au Pair contract before moving forward to the next step. 

Pro Trip World

For general information about Au Pair and international insurance, check the Pro Trip World insurance by Dr. Walter. The insurance Pro Trip World was created for young world travellers, in particular for Au Pairs and exchange students.
The insurance package consists of:
  • international health insurance
  • liability insurance
  • accident insurance
  • luggage insurance
  • assistance insurance
The Pro Trip World insurance will be helpful for every international traveller and can be easily purchased online.  

Au Pair Insurance with Care Concept

Care Concept offers different solutions for travelers and adventurers for more than 15 years. The company insures private persons and groups, from usual travelers to employees of international enterprises, seasonal workers, participants of language courses, students, interns, participants of Work & Travel programs and of course Au Pairs.

Under the title „Care Au-Pair“ Care Concept  offers an international insurance for foreign Au Pairs in Germany/Austria and for german/austrian Au Pairs (except NAFTA) worldwide. The USA, Canada and Mexico are not included. This insurance also covers pain-relieving dental treatments, just as treatments during a pregnancy, as long as the pregnancy hasn't existed before the stay . Also they will only be covered after 8 months of having the insurance.

The duration of the insurances varies from insurance to insurance, but still is very flexible. It is possible to terminate or enlarge the insurance any time. The application can easily be done online. 

Au Pair tips before traveling abroad -
Au Pair tips before traveling abroad - Read More »
Au Pair health insurance – European health card
Au Pair health insurance – European health card Read More »
Download Au Pair contract template -
Download Au Pair contract template - Read More »
Visa requirements for the Au Pair program –
Visa requirements for the Au Pair program – Read More »
Stay safe during the Au Pair program - advices before going abroad
Stay safe during the Au Pair program - advices before going abroad Read More »
Au Pair packing tips: what do you need to take with you?
Au Pair packing tips: what do you need to take with you? Read More »
Pro Aupair
Tel: +49 (0) 221 310 61 840
Our office hours: Mo-Fr 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. CET
Fax: +49 (0) 221 921 3049
FAQ » Contact us »