The J-1 visa – your way to the USA!

Becoming an Au Pair in the United States doesn’t seem as easy as in other countries due to the strict requirements of the program and the need of assistance from the local agency that is a designated sponsor agency in the US.  The agency will help you with the process and application for J-1 visa you will need for Au Pair stay in the USA

What is the J-1 visa?

The J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued to participate in a cultural exchange program in the United States for a short period of time. There is the maximum time you are allowed to live in the country depending on the J-1 visa category and the program you are participating in. 
Au Pair program in the US
In the United States the Au Pair program has certain requirements and in order to enter the US as an Au Pair you will have to fulfil them. What else? Find out

J-1 visa requirements for Au Pair program

  • You are not younger than 18 and not older than 26
  • Your English skills are good enough to participate in a program in the United States
  • You are a healthy person
  • You have at least 200 hours of experience in childcare
  • You have at least secondary school education diploma
  • You don’t smoke
  • You have a police clearance report
  • We recommend you to have an international driving license.
  • You are planning to stay at least 12 months in the United States
  • It is the first time you will be working as an Au Pair in the United States

How can I apply for a J-1 visa?

In order to become an Au Pair in USA you will need to contact an Au Pair agency in your country. The agency will work together with its partner agency in the USA to help you with application for J-1 visa. The agency will let you know the requirements you will need to fulfill and the documents you will need for visa application.

Which agency can organize your stay in USA?

To help you join Au Pair program in USA, the local agency in your country needs to partner with US agencies that are recognized by government and allowed to organize such programs. These agencies are also called the designated sponsor organizations. Check out the list of designated sponsor organizations in the USA!

How does the program work?

In order to get a J-1 visa you have to fulfil as well specific requirements during your stay abroad 
  • Complete at least six hours of academic credit at any US post-secondary educational institution
  • Work maximum 45 hours a week and not more than 10 hours a day
  • Do different duties related to the child care
In exchange for your help you will get:
  • A private room in the family’s house
  • At least three meals a day
  • A maximum amount of 500 USD for the required course
  • A predefined sum of pocket money weekly/monthly

See also

Pro Aupair