Hire Au Pair/Nanny or senior caregiver

Au Pair in France

The interexchange Au Pair program in France gives you the opportunity to live with a French family and share their daily life.

Would you like to get to know the French culture from the very inside? 

Au Pair in France - At a Glance

  • Age: 17 - 30years
  • Duration: 6 - 12 months
  • Working hours: max. 30 hours per week
  • Holidays: one paid vacation week for a 6 month-stay.  In addition, the Au Pair has at least 1 ½ contiguous, free days a week.
  • Travel costs: Au Pairs must pay for their own travel expenses. As a Host Family you are welcome to support the Au Pair with the travel expenses, but we recommend that families only do so once the Au Pair lives with the family.
  • Insurance: tall Au Pairs belonging to any EU-country member will have the right to apply for the European Health Insurance Card. Together with this, we recommend you to contract an accident and liability insurance so that you can enjoy a safe stay as an Au Pair. 
    If you don't happen to be a citizen of any EU-country member and you will be staying in France longer than 3 months, then you will need to apply for a work permit. Once you get it, you will automatically be registered with the Social Security in France.  More info under Contract and insurace.
  • Pocket money: minimum amount of 280 € per month
  • Visa requirements
  1. Citizens of EU / EEA countries and SwitzerlandAndorraVaticanSan Marino and Monaco only need a valid passport to work in France as an Au Pair.
  2. Citizens of other countries must apply for a visaFor more information, please visit the OFII website.

Au Pair France Check 

Requirements for EU-citizens

  • I speak French or have a good command of English
  • I'm not younger than 17 and not older than 30 
  • I'm healthy and I don't smoke
  • I like hanging out with children
  • Taking part in a language course during your Au Pair stay

If you hold a European citizenship, you don´t have to apply for a special visa to enter France. However, If you want to stay longer than three months as an Au Pair, you will need a residence permit. For that you have to register at the authority, called DIRECCTE.

Usually your Host Family will take care of your residence permit application but make sure you discuss it before you are moving to France in order to take all the required documents with you.

Requirements for Non-EU citizens

  • I am between 17 and 30 years old
  • I have experience looking after children
  • I am healthy
  • I don't smoke
  • I can get a visa
  • I don't have my own children

More info on requirements for Non-EU applicants

With or without an Au Pair Agency 

Once you've found your host family at AuPair.com often raises the question of whether you should additionally take an agency into consideration.
Advantages of taking an Agency:

  • The agency will help you to deal with visa formalities
  • You can consult the office workers who will answer all your questions
  • Au Pair agencies check the Host Families
  • You can participate in the meetings organized by the agency
  • It's simply safer to coopereate with the agency

Costs for the Au Pair 

In case a Host Family with a premium membership gets in touch with you, you do not even need to pay for your own premium membership on AuPair.com.

Additional costs

  • You have to pay the agency (in case you choose one)
  • You will need to cover visa expenses if one needed
  • You might like to buy some presents for the Host Family
  • You will need to cover travel costs


AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice.

Additional Information about Au Pair in France

Au Pair duties

What will be your duties as an Au Pair in France? Find it out on AuPair.com and register now in order to search for your perfect host family.

More about Au Pair duties

Contract and insurance

Are you willing to become an Au Pair in France? Don't miss all the useful information about the contract and the insurance you will be needing.

More about Contract and insurance

Requirements for Non-EU applicants

Are you a Non-EU citizen? Then find out what are the requirements for you to become an Au Pair in France!

More about Requirements for Non-EU applicants