Hire Au Pair/Nanny or senior caregiver

Host Families - Au Pair in Sweden

Do you consider becoming a host family in Sweden? Then you probably have a lot of questions. In the following AuPair.com is giving you the answers to the most important questions about the Au Pair program in Sweden. 
1. Can we become a Host Family?
2. Au Pair wages and hours
3. Time off and holiday
4. Length of stay
5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?
6. Insurance
7. What should my Au Pair do /  NOT do?

1. Can we become a Host Family?

Make sure you fulfill the requirements to become a Host Family in Sweden before you start looking for an Au Pair:

  • You have at least one under-age child
  • You provide the Au Pair with a private room
  • Swedish ist he main language in your family
  • You will be paying the Au Pair 3.500 SEK a month
  • You are looking for an Au Pair with a different nationality than your own
  • You agree that the Au Pair is allowed to visit a Swedish language course and that the Au Pair will not work and study more than 25 hours a week (working hours and language course combined)

You can find out what are the requirements to become an Au Pair in Sweden here.

2. Au Pair wages, hours and language school


Au Pairs in Sweden are expected to earn 3.500 SEK a month. The Au Pair will be paying taxes.
Also the Au Pair will be in charge of bearing the travel expenses unless the family offers to pay for it.

Please do not transfer money to the Au Pair before its arrival! If you want to pay a share of the travel costs, arrange an installment payment with the Au Pair, starting after the Au Pair's arrival.


The working hours of an Au Pair in Sweden are around 25 hours/week. The Au Pair is not allowed to work more than 5 hours a day.

Language school

  • The Au Pair is required to visit a language school
  • The Au Pair should not work and study more than 25 hours a week
  • The state pays for the cost of the language course. The Au Pair is responsible for any additional costs concerning the course
  • The Host Family can offer to pay for the additional costs. As well as the application tuition for the class
  • The class application is necessary in order to get a working permit

3. Time off and holiday

The Au Pair will have a day off a week and this should be at least once a month Sunday and will be entitled to a 4 week's paid holiday for a 12-month period.

4. Length of stay

The Au Pair can stay up to 12 months.

5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?

  • EU-Citizens do not need a Visa. The Au Pair will need a Health Report which should not be older than 3 months. Au Pairs travelling to Sweden also need a valid passport or ID-card.
  • Non-EU-Citizens need a Visa and a working permit. The Au Pair has to get in touch with the Swedish embassy placed in the home country in order to get the two documents.

Further information available on visa application.

6. Insurance

Au Pairs will get the European Healthy Insurance Card with you in order to be entitled to the benefits the Försäkringskassan offers. We recommend you to close an accident and liability insurance for your Au Pair.

Non-EU citizens
Au Pairs will need to register with the Försäkringskassan in order to be insurance covered in Sweden. However, they should close a private insurance in order to have a safe stay in Sweden.

Pro Trip-World offers will offer your Au Pair an economic and trustworthy insurance. In order to close this insurance you will only need to fill the online form!

7. What should my Au Pair do / NOT do?

Au Pairs are supposed to take care of the children. However, the Au Pair could perform different duties:

  • The Au Pair will take care of the children
  • The Au Pair will prepare some light meals for the kids
  • The Au Pair will drive the children to and from school
  • The Au Pair will do some light hosework

Do not forget, there are also some duties the Au Pair is NOT supossed to do:

  • The Au Pair will not have to take care of children other than the family's
  • The Au Pair will not have to clean the rooms that are exclusively for the Host Family's use
  • The Au Pair will not have to take care of pets
  • The Au Pair will not have to cook for the whole family

AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice

Pro Aupair