Hire Au Pair/Nanny or senior caregiver

Host Families - Au Pair in Finland

If you live in Finland and your family is considering the idea of hosting an Au Pair, the following information may be very useful for you! 
1. Can we become a Host Family?
2. Au Pair wages and hours
3. Time off and holiday
4. Length of stay
5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?
6. Insurance
7. What should my Au Pair do /  NOT do?

1. Can we become a Host Family?

Becoming a Host Family in Finland can be very easy as long as you fulfill the following requirements:

  • You have at least one under-age child
  • Finish or Swedish is the main language in your family
  • You can provide the Au Pair with a private room
  • You will be paying the Au Pair 280 euro per month
  • You are looking for an Au Pair with a different nationality than your own

On AuPair.com you will also find out information on the requirements to become an Au Pair in Finland

2. Au Pair wages and hours

Pocket money

Au Pairs in Finland will be earning 280€ per month.

The Au Pair will be in charge of bearing the travel expenses unless the family offers to pay for it.
Please do not transfer money to the Au Pair before its arrival! If you want to pay a share of the travel costs, arrange an installment payment with the Au Pair, starting after the Au Pair's arrival.


In Finland accomodation, full board and pocket money will be considered a salary, which means Au Pairs will have to pay taxes. The money the Au Pair will need to pay as a contribution will depend on the length of the stay; further information will be found on vero.fi.

Pension insurance

In Finland, Au Pairs also have to pay for a pension insurance (24,2% of the gross income). The payment will be splited between Host Family (18,65%) and the Au Pair (5,55%).

Working hours

Au Pairs in Finland work up to 30 hours per week 

3. Time off and holiday

The Au Pair will have a day off a week and will be entitled to 2 weeks of paid holiday for a 6-month period.

4. Length of stay

Au Pairs in Finland can stay up to 12 months with their Host Family

5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?

EU-, EFTA- residents and residents from the Nordic countries can get to Finland with a valid identity card or passport.

Non-EU-residents need to ask for a residence permit at the embassy or consulate of Finland placed in their home country. In order to get their resicende permit, they will need to bring:
  • A recent health certificate
  • Proof of interest in the Swedish or Finnish culture
  • Confirmation of registration into a Swedish or Finnish course
  • Signed up Au Pair contract
  • Valid passport
  • Proof of a regular income (pocket money)

6. Insurance

In Finland, Host Families are responsible for their Au Pair's insurance and must ensure that the correspondent insurance will be closed for the Au Pair to be insurance covered the whole stay. Find out further information on Kela.
Au Pairs from EU-/EFTA-countries: if the Au Pair is legally insurance covered in his/her home country and applies for the European Insurance Card, no additional insurance must be closed in Finland. 
Au Pairs from the Nordic countries, Australia and Quebec:
Due to an agreement among Finland and the mentioned countries, Au Pairs from any of those countries will be entitled to the Finish Social Security with a valid identity card or passport. However, in those countries where this is possible, it is recommended for Au Pairs to apply for the European Health Insurance Card.
Au Pairs from Non-EU-countries (except Australia and Quebec):  Host Families need to close a medical and accident insurance for their future Au Pair in order to be entitled to medical assistance during the whole stay.

Pro Trip-World offers will offer you an economic and trustworthy insurance!

7. What should my Au Pair do / NOT do?

Au Pairs are supoosed to take care of the children. However, the Au Pair could perform different duties:

  • The Au Pair will take care of the children
  • The Au Pair will prepare some light meals for the kids
  • The Au Pair will drive the children to and from school
  • The Au Pair will do some light hosework
  • The Au Pair will babysit 

Do not forget, there are also some duties the Au Pair is NOT supossed to do:

  • The Au Pair will not have to take care of children other than the family's
  • The Au Pair will not have to clean the rooms that are exclusively for the Host Family's use
  • The Au Pair will not have to take care of pets
  • The Au Pair will not have to cook for the whole family

AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice