au pair

European Health Insurance Card – how does it work for Au Pairs?

The European Health Insurance Card provides European Union citizens with medical care while living abroad in other European Union countries. This document is issued to nationals of any European Union member countries as well as Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland. The card entitles you to the benefits of public Healthcare System of the Host Country. 
Please note, that we can’t guarantee any of the information that we give about insurances.
The regulations differ from one insurance company to another and also depend on the kind of insurance that you have in your home country (family insurance etc.). Please ask your insurance company for more information!
Since the healthcare system is different in every country, we recommend you to inform yourself about the services that are covered in order to avoid any problems during the Au Pair stay abroad. The EHIC does not cover private health care and cannot be used as a travel insurance. Moreover, the card will not be valid if you travel to the country to obtain medical treatment.

List of countries whose residents are entitled to the EHIC

Austria Bulgaria Belgium Cyprus
Croatia Czech Republic Denmark
Finland France Germany Greece
Hungary Iceland Ireland Italy
Latvia Liechtenstein Lithuania Luxembourg
The Netherlands Norway Malta Poland
Portugal Romania Slovakia Slovenia
Spain Sweden Switzerland The United Kingdom

** Applicants from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland can also be entitled to a European Health Insurance Card.

How can I get the European Health Insurance Card?

The European Health Insurance Card is issued by the institution where the person is insured. You need to be insured by a state social security system of one of the mentioned countries. If you want to know more information about the process contact your local insurance organization. 
**If you come from a non-EU country but are legally residing in any of the mentioned countries, you will also be entitled to the EHIC. You will not have the right to receive medical treatment in Denmark, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

What the EHIC has to do with Au Pairs?

The European Health Insurance Card is issued for a temporary stay abroad. Since the Au Pair program is not a job but an exchange program you will get the benefits of the public health service for free. We recommend Au Pairs to close the private insurance as well for a complex health protection.  
Read more about Au Pair insurance and other important topics of the program in the Au Pair Wiki

See also

Pro Aupair