Hire Au Pair/Nanny or senior caregiver

Host Families - Au Pair in Denmark

Do you consider becoming a host family in Denmark? Then you probably have a lot of questions. In the following AuPair.com is giving you the answers to the most important questions about the Au Pair program in Denmark. 
1. Can we become a Host Family?
2. Au Pair wages and hours
3. Time off and holiday
4. Length of stay
5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?
6. Insurance
7. What should my Au Pair do /  NOT do?

1. Can we become a Host Family?

Does your family fulfill the requirements to host an Au Pair in Denmark? Check it yourself! 

  • There is at least 1 child under 18 in your family
  • At least one of both parents is Danish
  • The Au Pair will be provided with a separate room
  • You are willing to pay the Au Pair a monthly amount of 3.250 DKK 
  • Your family doesn't receive any public funds
You will find the requirements to become an Au Pair in Denmark under the program Au Pair in Denmark.

2. Au Pair wages and hours 


The Au Pair will a minimum amount of 3,250 DKK per month, which will result into 3,150 DKK after paying taxes. 

Travelling costs will be beared by the Au Pair unless the family offers to help pay the total or part of the whole amount. 
Please do not transfer money to the Au Pair before its arrival! If you want to pay a share of the travel costs, arrange an installment payment with the Au Pair, starting after the Au Pair's arrival.


  • The Au Pair program entitles the Au Pair to work a maximum of 30 hours a week
  • The Au Pair will work a maximum of 5 hours a day

3. Time off and holiday

The Au Pair will have one day off per week and one week holiday for a 6-month period.

4. Lenght of stay

Au Pairs in Denmark cannot stay longer than one year in case the contract doesn't end earlier; once the contract terminates, the Au Pair should not stay in Denmark. In some exceptional situation, the Au Pair could ask for a 6-month extension and spend up to 24 months with the Host Family. 

5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?


  • EU citizens
  • Canada
  • Chile​
  • India
  • Japan

Compulsory is needed after a three month settling period for any nationality.


  • Non-EU citizens
  • African countries
  • Middle Eastern countries
  • Asian countries
The Au Pair will get a visa for up to 24 months. If the Au Pair happens to get a visa for a shorter time, he/she will need to apply for an extension in order to stay longer with the family.

Further information on visa application.

6. Insurance

  • For those not requiring a visa, the Host Family should inform themselves about how to get their Au Pair insurance covered, not only by providing their Au Pair with a medical health insurance but also with a recommended accitent and liabilty insurance.
  • Those who require a visa should arrange an insurance to make sure they will be covered during their whole Au Pair stay in Denmark. 
Pro Trip-World offers will offer your Au Pair an economic and trustworthy insurance. In order to close this insurance you will only need to fill the online form!

7. What should my Au Pair do / NOT do?

Au Pairs are meant to mostly look after children, so it is important the family doesn't forget that.  Following you will also get some ideas of what an Au Pair should and should not do.

  • The Au Pair will be in charge of the children 
  • The Au Pair can help your children get ready for school / bed
  • The Au Pair can take and pick up your children from school
  • The Au Pair can cook some light meals for the children
  • The Au Pair can help with some light household
  • The Au Pair can babysit if the parents are not there

What should the Au Pair NOT do?

  • The Au Pair should not prepare meals for the whole family
  • The Au Pair will look after your children but should not be in charged of someone else's children
  • The Au Pair does not have the obligation to take care of pets
  • The Au Pair will not need to clean non-shared rooms

AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice