au pair

How to become an Au Pair in Spain: requirements

Before moving on to the application process, let’s look into the requirements and expectations for the program in Spain. There are few mandatory requirements mentioned below. 
To learn more, keep on reading or take a shortcut: 
Au Pair requirements Spain

Au Pair in Spain requirements for EU citizens

The requirements of the Au Pair program in Spain vary depending on the Au Pair's home country. We have collected all the information valid for European Union citizens:
  • Age: 18 - 30 years 
  • Language skills: Basic knowledge of Spanish. English, French or German language skills will also work, since families are often looking for someone to teach a language to their children. 
  • Clear criminal record
If all the points above are true about you, don't wait and …
Free Registration as Candidate

Step by step application process for EU citizens!

You can also just follow these steps to become an Au Pair:

Find a Host Family in Spain
Search for a Host Family on - register for free, fill in your profile, add pictures to make it more interactive and start looking for the perfect candidates.
Sign the contract and think of an insurance for Spain
Sign the agreement, make sure that you already have your European Health Insurance Card and get some more information about other private insurance options in Spain. It’s important to be safe during your stay!
Pack your bags and get prepared!
As an EU citizen, there is almost nothing more for you to do. You don't need a visa to enter Spain. Just make sure that you packed everything you need and book your ticket.

Au Pair in Spain requirements for Non-EU citizens

If your home country doesn't belong to the European Union, the requirements may be a little different. But don't worry in advance and check if the points below apply to you:  
  • You are 18 - 30 years old
  • You have a basic knowledge of Spanish. French or English language skills would also be preferred, since some families are looking for someone who can teach those languages to their children. 
  • You have at least an intermediate school certificate, a university degree is also a plus
  • You are entitled to a visa
  • You can pay for visa, travel and other Au Pair expenses
Did you keep nodding while reading all the points above? Great! 
Free Registration as Candidate

Au Pair program in Spain - step by step for Non-EU citizens:

Sometimes it seems like there is no end in sight if you look at the whole process. But once you’ve reached Spain you won’t regret your effort. Just follow the steps below:

Look for a Host Family on
If you are already registered with us, make sure that your profile is filled out completely and start sending messages! Read our handbook for participants and learn more about the process of searching for the perfect match.
Check your passport
Make sure that your passport is valid during the application and for your whole stay in Spain!
Sign the contract
The contract is the most important document for the visa application. You will definitely need the original to apply. Discuss all the details with your Host Family and ask them to sign and send it to you as fast as possible. 
Submit your visa application
Depending on your nationality, you have to choose the right visa to Spain which will allow you to stay and work in the country. provides you with all the details.
Au Pair insurance in Spain
If you applied for a visa you should also take care of your insurance for SpainThe insurance should cover you for the whole length of your stay - make sure to talk to your Host Family about it! It is also possible that you need the insurance papers for the visa application. Please check that with the Spanish embassy in your home country. 
Get ready for travelling
Are you going by plane or train? Get the ticket and pack all the documents that will be necessary for border control. You will be asked for your visa, ID card and passport! It might also be possible that you will be asked for the contract that you and the hosts have to sign. So don’t forget it!

Au Pair in Spain: information about the Au Pair program
Au Pair in Spain: information about the Au Pair program Read More »
Au Pair in Spain: salary, holidays and more
Au Pair in Spain: salary, holidays and more Read More »
Au Pair contract and insurance in Spain
Au Pair contract and insurance in Spain Read More »
Au Pair in Spain: visa requirements for the participants
Au Pair in Spain: visa requirements for the participants Read More »
Au Pair in Spain: most interesting and fun places to visit
Au Pair in Spain: most interesting and fun places to visit Read More »

Pro Aupair