au pair

Become a Host Family in Norway

Au Pair Norway
Hosting an Au Pair in Norway is the perfect chance to introduce your kids to a new culture and raise them in a multicultural environment. Host Families in Norway will also find a flexible, reliable and affordable childcare. 

Can you become a Host Family in Norway?

Host Families need to meet some requirements to host an Au Pair in Norway and start this cultural exchange with all the program benefits. Make sure that you meet the following requirements:
  • You have at least one child younger than 18 years.
  • You want to host only one Au Pair at a time. 
  • You are able to afford the costs of the program.
  • You have a private room for the new family member.
  • You are able to pay for the Norwegian language course (at least NOK 8,400 per year).
  • You are willing to pay the insurance in Norway
  • You are willing to sign the official contract from the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI).
  • You are willing to consider the Au Pair a family member.
If your family fulfils all the requirements, we would like to help you to connect with the right candidates!
Family free registration

The first step is to create a profile and personalize it with pictures and information about your family. Do not forget to write the “welcome” letter to future participants and define the expectations you have. If possible, try to describe how a typical day of the family looks like. 
The second step is to start the communication with possible candidates. Our users can send standard messages and add favourites to a list. If you choose to become a Premium Member you can send personalized messages and get additional support. 
Make sure that your future participant can be part of the program. Have a look at the requirements for Non-European Union and European Union participants.  We have gathered all the information about the program’s regulations, visa process and Host Family duties for you in our step by step guide. 

Hosting EU and Non-EU applicants in Norway

There are some official requirements candidates need to meet to live this adventure in Norway. Candidates from Non-EU/EFTA member countries need to apply for a visa to be part of the program. Nevertheless, by keeping the doors open to all participants you have a better chance to find the right candidate for your family. 
In general, Au Pairs need to have experience in taking care of children, be healthy and can’t have children of their own or even be married. Of course they also have to be interested in immersing themselves in the Scandinavian culture and learn Norwegian.

For more information about the program have a look at our WIKI pages. You can also solve some thoughts if you check our frequently asked questions page or simply send us a message.

Hosting an Au Pair from the European Union and EFTA

All candidates with a European Union and EFTA (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Switzerland) passport only need to meet the following requirements: 
  • Age: 18 to 30
  • The purpose of the applicant’s stay in Norway must be a cultural exchange
  • Knowledge of English or Norwegian
  • Passport or ID to register at the local office
Besides the participation criteria above, the candidates are also expected to return to their home country at the end of the stay. 

After exchanging a few messages and seeing each other face to face on the skype interview you can agree to sign the contract. Then there are just some steps left: 
Insurance for Norway
Make sure your Au Pair has requested his/her European Health Insurance Card to have the benefits Norwegian health system. In addition, we suggest getting a private health and accident insurance valid for the complete stay in Norway.
Register your Au Pair
Participants in Norway whose stay is longer than three months need to register through the registration scheme for EU/EEA nationals. This can be done for free during the first three months after their arrival. You can find more information about this in the official migration site of Norway
Enroll to Social Security System
Participants in Norway will need to enroll to the Social Security System and pay income taxes. After enrolling, participants will get an ID number and a tax card at the registration office. Please consider that the family is in charge of paying this tax on behalf of their Au Pair. 

Program regulations and more

How to hire an Au Pair from a Non-EU country?

Candidates outside of the European Union/EFTA need to apply for a visa in their home country and then apply for a residence permit in Norway. These are the requirements to be part of the experience:
  • Age: between 18 - 29 (at the time of applying for the visa)
  • Passport (it should be valid for the length of the stay)
  • Ability to afford the visa and travel expenses
  • Must be willing to sign the contract provided by one of the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) approved agencies. 
  • The Au Pair has to show the will to return to his/her home country at the end of the stay. The circumstances in their home country must also indicate that they will be able to return.
If you’ve found the right candidate you will need to make the agreement official through the contract. Afterwards, there are just a couple of arrangements to take care of. These are the steps to follow: 
Insurance and Tuberculosis test
Although Au Pairs automatically become a member of the Norwegian National Insurance scheme once the residence permit is valid, we suggest to get a private health insurance in addition. It should cover accidents, illness and liability during the length of the stay. 
Host Families also have to make sure that their new family member takes the mandatory tuberculosis test as soon as the Au Pair arrives in Norway.
Residence Permit
All Non-European Union/EFTA citizens must register at the corresponding office to process their residence permit in Norway. This should be done within the first days of the arrival. 
Enroll to Social Security System
After registering and processing the residence permit, the Au Pair will have to enroll to the Social Security System. Participants will get an ID number and an income tax card at the corresponding office. It is important to mention that Host Families are in charge of paying for the taxes on behalf of their Au Pair. That means that the Au Pair’s salary should include an extra amount to be deduced as an income tax. 
Learn more about the Au Pair program in Norway!

Au Pair contract and insurance in Norway for a safe stay
Au Pair contract and insurance in Norway for a safe stay Read More »
Au Pair in Norway: visa requirements and regulations
Au Pair in Norway: visa requirements and regulations Read More »
Au Pair in Norway: salary, working hours and other rules
Au Pair in Norway: salary, working hours and other rules Read More »
Pro Aupair

Tel: +49 221 310 61 840
Office hours: Mo-Fr 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM CET
USA: (800) 641-3527 - 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST
Fax: +49 (0) 221 921 3049
Contact us