Hire Au Pair/Nanny or senior caregiver

Host Families - Au Pair in Canada

Do you consider becoming a host family in Canada? Then you probably have a lot of questions. In the following AuPair.com is giving you the answers to the most important questions about the Au Pair program in Canada. 

1. Can we become a Host Family?
2. Au Pair wages and hours
3. Time off and holiday
4. Length of stay
5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?
6. Insurance
7. What should my Au Pair do /  NOT do?

1. Can we become a Host Family?

In order to become a Host Family in Canada you should meet the following requirements: 

  • You should have at least 1 child under 18
  • Either English or French is the the main language of the family
  • You can provide the Au Pair with a private room and full board
  • Your Au Pair will receive a weekly amount of 200 CAD
  • The Au Pair nationality will be different from the family's
The requirements Au Pairs have to fulfill in order to get a Host Family in Canada will be found under the program Au Pair in Canada.

2. Au Pair wages and hours 


Au Pairs in Canada are expected to earn around 200 CAD a week.

The Au Pair should pay for the travel expenses but most families offer to pay part or the total amount if the experience is what they have expected.

Please do not transfer money to the Au Pair before its arrival! If you want to pay a share of the travel costs, arrange an installment payment with the Au Pair, starting after the Au Pair's arrival.


Au Pairs in Canada are expected to work between 25 and 30 hours a week, depending on what both Au Pair and family agree on.

3. Time off and holiday

The Au Pair will have at least one day off a week and this should be once a month Sunday and will be entitled to two week's paid holiday for a 6-month period.

4. Length of stay

Depending on the visa, the Au Pair gets to stay 12 months or even longer (up to 24 in case of an extension) with the family.

5. Does my Au Pair need a visa?

Yes, your Au Pair needs to apply for a visa in order to become a part of your family. Applying for a visa for Canada is not that easy; there is a restricted number of visas issued per year. Au Pairs should ask at the Canadian embassy placed in their country what are the requirements for them to become an Au Pair in Canada and which documents they need to provide.

Further information about visa regulations on visa application.

6. Insurance

Au Pairs will pay for their health insurance in order to be covered during their whole stay. The Host Family can help to bear the costs but this is not a must in any case. However, we recommend the Host Family to close an accident and liability insurance.

Pro Trip-World offers will offer your Au Pair an economic and trustworthy insurance. In order to close this insurance you will only need to fill the online form!

7. What should my Au Pair do / NOT do?

The Host Family should keep in mind that the Au Pair's main task should be taking care of the children and in order for your family to get an idea, following a list of the duties an Au Pair could perform:

  • Entertain / look after the kids
  • Help the kids to get dressed for school / put the children in bed
  • Drive the children from / to school and pick them up
  • Prepare meals for the children
  • Do some light housework
  • Babysit

You should not forget there are also some tasks an Au Pair should NOT do:

  • Be in charge of pets
  • Be in charge of someone else's children
  • Clean non-shared rooms
  • Prepare meals for the whole family

AuPair.com cannot be held liable for any information, opinion or recommendation expressed in this website, so you are strongly advised to seek legal advice

Pro Aupair